[Bldg-rate] Costing Green

Boucher, Francis B. FRANCIS.BOUCHER at us.ngrid.com
Wed Sep 3 06:08:43 PDT 2008

 Aside from the study, I have worked on several real world project that
have applied for LEED Certification. One on particular is our own
300,000 SF headquarters that we are reaching for LEED CI and CS Gold on.
There are definitely significant additional costs to get to LEED Gold.
Now that the LEED requirements have been changed so that you need at
least 2 EA Credit 1 points there are real costs to get the building to
be more energy efficient than ASHRAE 90.1 required. If you have an owner
that is already budgeting for beyond code efficiency for their building,
I could see it would not cost much additional to get to LEED Certified
but one could not say there is no additional cost. Further, if you are
in an area like New England where there are serious utility incentives
for efficiency ( in some cases paying down the cost of efficiency
improvements to the point where the owner gets a one year payback)I
could see LEED Certified at very low cost. That said, the market now
expects LEED Gold or better for first class office space. LEED silver is
a "base" level that even State facilities, not known for their
progressive efforts, are expected to achieve in states like RI and MA.

LEED is definitely encouraging people to reach further than they would
have otherwise in the design and to put more money into green features.
Not across the board mind you but still in a very significant way.