[Bldg-rate] ASHRAE 90.1 Baseline Shading Itself

James V. Dirkes II P.E. jvd2pe at tds.net
Thu Sep 4 10:17:15 PDT 2008

Dear Dan,

I suppose that you could argue that every upper floor shades every floor
below it.

However, I think that ASHRAE's intention is to remove shading considerations
from the base case, and make the shading a design / "Proposed" benefit.
With that in mind, you can probably justify treating the Retail and Office
spaces as separate buildings that are physically apart and don't shade each
other....  That's my "seat of the pants" opinion, though, not a CIR or
equivalent.

p.s., kudos for the cool high-res graphics! ;)  Pictures help a LOT!

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504