[BLDG-SIM] DOE-2

BKoran at aol.com BKoran at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 15:07:44 PDT 1999

I wholeheartedly concur with John Karasaki's comments, although I have had no
opportunity to use DOE-2 for several years now, and so have little experience
with graphical versions.

I have seen serious flaws even in DOE-2 models created without using a GUI
version. I believe it is a certainty that the greater tendency to be
satisfied with defaults, as well as the typically decreased understanding of
what the program is actually doing, means that using a GUI version will often
result in a less appropriate simulation.

A careful modeler can certainly create a good model with a text-based or a
GUI-based version, but being forced to input nearly everything really helps
with long-term understanding.  A think the keys to simulation, with any model
(including spreadsheet models) are (1) extreme care, and (2) question
everything to the point of paranoia.  Since most project timelines don't
allow this, there are a lot of mediocre-to-poor models out there!  (Although
I hope not from the readers of this list!<g>)

Bill