[BLDG-SIM] DOE 2.2 experiences?

John P. Karasaki, P.E. jpkarasa at cbg-engrs.com
Thu Jun 3 10:04:42 PDT 1999

I've noticed a few people mentioning that they are using DOE 2.2.  We have
used it and PowerDOE on a couple of projects.  Our experience is that either
can be a bear to use if one is trying to do anything creative since there is
no documentation for the more advanced features (the reason one would use
DOE 2.2 vs. 2.1E v.127 in the first place).

We have been particularly frustrated with the ground source heat pump
algorithms.  After a week of getting inconsistent and unexplainable results,
a call down to LBNL revealed that the ground loop algorithms are
"unreliable" and "should not be used."  Instead, they recommended scheduling
water temperatures, which we eventually did.  The results still seem
optimistic, but at least the simulation is working somewhat predictably.

I heard that the documentation is done but is held up due to a legal dispute
between Jeff Hirsch and LBNL.  Unfortunate.

Anyone else have similar experiences with DOE 2.2/PowerDOE?  Any pointers as
to how to properly define water loops, or where we can get the documentation
to do so?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, as a 10 year user of DOE2, our frustration with using the undocumented
DOE 2.2 is akin to what was experienced when I first was learning DOE2.1C!