[BLDG-SIM] Hospital End-Use Disaggregation

Vladimir Bazjanac vlado at gundog.lbl.gov
Thu Mar 11 11:35:41 PST 1999

Bill,

Equipment audits do not say anything about unnecessary lighting; changing lamps
and fixtures is relatively trivial, given the will and an adequate budget.

What is reasonable?  8-10 W/sq.ft. in an operating room *is* reasonable during
surgery; it is *not* reasonable when nobody is there.  3-4 W/sq.ft. in emergency
rooms is reasonable; 1 W/sq.ft. "on" in an unused space is not.  Wasteful use of
electrical lighting is a "wicked" problem.  Its prevention starts with zoning of lighting, sensors, electrical lighting controls, education and incentives. You
may want to add these to your assessment.

-- Vladimir

>Bill,
>
>Lighting can be all over for existing buildings since so
>many improvements have been made in the last ten years.
>One point of reference is the latest draft of ASHRAE
>Standard 90.1 that allows 1.6 W/sqft overall for the entire
>hospital building and specific spaces being 1.0 W/sqft in
>the nursery, 1.2 in the patient rooms, 2.8 in the emergency
>room and 7.6 in the operating room.  Altogether they have
>over twenty different spaces identified for a hospital.
>These are supposed to represent efficient lighting options
>that are cost effective - I believe it is appropriate to
>consider them less than the state of the art.
>
>Jason

>>I'm looking for some rules-of thumb for energy use by end-use for hospitals.
>>I'm particularly interested in the electricity use for lighting at the present
>>time.  Percentages of the total electricity use would be fine.
>>
>>I'm seeking this information just to use for reasonableness checks.  I have a
>>copy of a completed lighting audit that has numbers I don't think are
>>reasonable.  The hospital whose use I'm investigating is located in San
>>Francisco.
>>
>> I would be interested in a good source for this type of information as well as
>>the information itself.
>>
>>Thanks, Bill

_/ Vladimir Bazjanac, Ph.D.                     (510) 486-4092   office     _/
_/ Building Technologies Department             (510) 486-4089   fax        _/
_/ Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory        (510) 548-4440   studio     _/
_/ University of California                     e-mail:                     _/
_/ MS 90-3111                                   vlado at gundog.lbl.gov        _/
_/ Berkeley, CA 94720                           vlado at socrates.berkeley.edu _/