[BLDG-SIM] refrigeration / PowerDOE

Alec Stevens astevens at dmiinc.com
Fri Apr 21 11:26:35 PDT 2000

Hello,
I have a specific question regarding the Compressor kW= f(condensing temp)
curve fit for modeling refrigeration in PowerDOE.  This curve fit returns a
factor from about .5 to 1.25 in the provided default curve
"Refg-kW-fECT-T1."

I am making my own curve based on published data for the compressors that
are in place at the store I am modeling.

1) Does the factor returned by this curve fit only apply to compressor input
kW?  If so, how is the effect of compressor capacity as a function of
condensing temperature taken into account?   I think that it would make more
sense if this factor was applied to EER.  Is that the case?

2) In the default curve, the factor is 1.00 at about 100 F condensing
temperature.  Should you always normalize your curve to 100 F, or should you
set it equal to 1.00 at some other temperature based on the store
conditions, or at the same temperature that you calculated your EER?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Alec Stevens
DMI