[BLDG-SIM] Hornet's Nest -- Policy for Public Investment in Energy Software

Mark Case mcase at etcgrp.com
Tue Feb 1 07:55:23 PST 2000

In as much as it is possible to separate `engines' from `interfaces', there
is a critical difference, one that may play a role in public vs. private
funding (and developement). One of the major reasons DOE2.x enjoys the
success it does is because it is open and has been extensively `tested' or
`proven', within the given context of good vs bad modeling practices. This
acceptance of the `engine' allows anybody to put an interface on it and not
impact this basic strength. Even if the interface is completely closed, as
long as people can see the resulting BDL code, there is a varying but
generally large degree of faith in the model.
Indeed, I would be much more hesitant to used either PowerDOE, Visual DOE,
eQuest, or VisualDOE PlantOnly, were it not for the fact that I can see the
resulting BDL input. This `tranparency' is also part of the reason we
switched from Trace 600 to DOE2.1 some ten years ago.