[BLDG-SIM] Matching utility meters

Chassin, David P David.Chassin at pnl.gov
Mon Jan 31 11:52:38 PST 2000

[Normally I snip most of the original message, but Paul's entire message is
important and I left it below]

It sounds like we agree and I'm really enjoying the discussion.  I didn't and
won't dismiss the use of energy calcs for estimating savings for the reason you
cite: it's the best we've got.  But as you suggest, I recognize their
limitations.  They've got to be used on the right jobs and in the right way to
be of real value.  As such, I do not expect to get the current generation of
simulations to match the utility meter.  We have access to extensive collections
of utility meter and submeter data and I have seen little evidence of progress
since the data seriously started to come in over 20 years ago.  We use these
engines (especially DOE-2 and BLAST) very extensively and we think we know their
strengths and weaknesses pretty well.  In the past year we have run and analyzed
the output of around 5000 parametrically generated models for various jobs and
in past years that number has reached the neighborhood of 20000 models per year.
We've learned where these models can go and where they can't go.  We're stilling
learning very significant lessons today.

In my humble opinion the crux of the matter for calculating savings is that even
if I could know when a 2x4 is stuck in a damper (which is hard enough to
predict) just about every energy calcs engine is unable to model the problem or
calculate its impact.  We have not been able to get most of the engines to
correctly model the impact of the most common problems (e.g., bad temperature
sensors, stuck dampers, improperly programmed controls, failed cooling
interlock) on economizer operation.  We learned this lesson when we tried to
generate the test data sets to verify that our diagnosticians could detect all
the problems we were looking to find. Yet as we field test the diagnosticians we
discover that these occurrences are prevalent and we are surprised how often
they go undetected by experienced operators.

Now consider the way we calculate savings (simplified of course):

	Savings = PredictedCost(Bad) - ActualCost(Good) - ActualCost(Fix)

where for good or bad operation

	Cost(X) = Rate * Simulated_Consumption(X)

In the good old days the difference between bad and good was mostly in the
basics: lights, insulation, efficiency of the HVAC, and windows and doors.
These are all things for which energy engines generally estimate impacts well,
whether for Cost(Bad) or Cost(Good0.  However, as more and more buildings get
the basic improvements made or are simply built to meet better standards, the
more difficult to model things become more significant relative to the basics.
Now the Cost(bad) part of the equation begins to break down because most energy
engines cannot even guess what might be the impact of improper sensor location,
manufacturing flaws, incorrect installation, setup/config oversights, or naïve
operation.  Unfortunately these are not the exception, rather they are the rule.
Moreover they are the targets of interest to those in the performance
contracting business because they can be very easy/inexpensive to fix and can
have dramatic cost impacts.  As a result modelers (particularly the more
virtuoso among us) find work-arounds for these conditions in order to match
actual metered data to predicted meter readings. I believe (based mostly on my
intuition) that these proxies push the models "out of bounds".  They were never
designed to model incorrect building design or operation and should not be used
that way.  The very impact an ESPC wishes to affect cannot be estimated
directly.

Bottom line for me: if I don't know the problem is there or I can't estimate the
impact of a problem, I certainly can't match the utility meter in a realistic
way, no matter how hard I try.  Like I said before, if I do match the meter,
it's by changing something else that probably has nothing to do with the problem
I intend to fix in order to obtain savings.

To go back to John Aulbach's pain, many people feel it and I don't think there's
much that can be done to alleviate it today.  Every time I consider using an
energy calcs engine to estimate savings I have to remind myself that everything
looks like a nail when I'm holding a hammer.  I know that in this case a hammer
is sometimes all I've got, but that does make using it always right.  If I've
got to use it, I need to swing very carefully.

One last point about the modeling language I feel the need to make because it's
a subject near and dear to me as I work the IAI on the Industry Foundation
Classes.  The problem is not only in the language, but in the basic
methodologies driven by the language.  Most engines generally do not separate
the control strategy simulation from the thermal and air-flow simulation of
models.  Because of this, they cannot consider the wide range of conditions that
can cause improper operation and can result in the models "going out of bounds".
There a lot of very good reasons for this.  But take a seemingly simple problem:
a bad temperature sensor.  It is extremely difficult (and I believe impossible
but I'm still waiting to be proven wrong) to simulate the impact of this problem
on the economizer control signals using the most popular energy savings
calculation tools.  Thus the bad behavior of the economizer cannot be replicated
correctly.  Therefore the savings obtained by correcting this problem cannot be
quantified well using such engines.  Once the problem with the methodology is
remedied, then we could be talk about whether and how the language needs to be
modified.

Cheer up.  We're still way ahead of the game.

Regards,
Dave,

David P. Chassin
Staff Scientist
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, Washington
509-375-4369
david.chassin at pnl.gov <mailto:david.chassin at pnl.gov>

Disclaimer: The facts above are based on memory proven faulty on numerous
occasions, and the opinions are not those of my employer or its clients even
though I sometimes wish they were.