[BLDG-SIM] hornets nest?

Mark Case mcase at etcgrp.com
Wed Jan 26 14:09:01 PST 2000

Most of you are undoubtedly aware of the recent controversy over DOE2.2
PowerDoe and EnergyPlus. I know that many people on this list are actively
involved in one or more of these programs.
I think this list is as good a place as any to start a serious discussion
about where things are going, why, and how we (users of the tools) feel
about these things.

I'll start by boldly stating that I don't believe EnergyPlus will provide a
truly useful (on-the-ground useful) tool for many years to come. The history
of DOE and the national labs in creating and releasing such software is not
very good.
Are the labs and developers trying to create a product useable in a
competitive design consulting world? The last thing we need is another
arcane simulation package with no front end or post processor - been there,
done that. Perhaps new algorithyms and advanced coding are needed but
without the interface they won't help me at all. I'd rather use the `older'
ones and keep the ability to show designers what I'm doing.

One more comment and question - the DOE is spending our money to create new
code and have arguably abandoned the multi-million dollar investment in
previous DOE2.x developent. Is this the best use of taxpayer money?

Come on everybody - don't be afraid to weigh-in on this - let's hear your
thoughts!