[BLDG-SIM] Hornet's Next - Policy for Public Investment in En ergy Software

John P. Karasaki, P.E. jpkarasa at cbg-engrs.com
Mon Jan 31 11:35:15 PST 2000

Charles,

I read your attachment.  Thanks.  I am confused about one issue, though:
Since PowerDOE has a graphical interface and uses DOE2.2 as the simulation
engine, where does that leave VisualDOE?  In Strategy #2?  These seem to be
competing rather than cooperating products going after a very small market
(2000 users by your numbers).

If VisualDOE does anything better than PowerDOE, maybe those advanced
features could be integrated into PowerDOE?  This addresses, in a arguably
basic way, the public funds issue Jeff Hirsch raised.

The market appears, in my humble and non-expert opinion, to be too small to
support all the simulation software packages currently available.  This
might be diluting public funds.  Again, that's just a wild guess on my part,
but I'd rather have one awesome product vs. many good ones.