[BLDG-SIM] hornets nest? Stay the course !!

Chassin, David P David.Chassin at pnl.gov
Fri Jan 28 10:28:18 PST 2000

"And for the retrofit industry, I STILL gotta match the utitliy meters...."
I don't think we have any hope of ever achieving that with today's tools (or
even those that are in the works).  Our simulation tools can't simulate *all*
the stupid mistakes and failures that are made in building design, construction,
and operation.  The only time you'll get your output to match the utility meter
is if you tweek something else that probably has nothing to do with reality.
This is just one of the things that give me pause when people talk about using
DOE-2 (or any other engine in existence) to simulate buildings in order to
estimate savings.  We *know* the model is wrong because it can't simulate a 2x4
stuck in the makeup vane of an economizer by a frustrated operator trying to get
some fresh air in a building with a messed up economizer control he can't figure
out.  These kind of things happen all the time.
Dave

David P. Chassin
Staff Scientist
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, Washington
509-375-4369
david.chassin at pnl.gov <mailto:david.chassin at pnl.gov>

Disclaimer: The facts above are based on memory proven faulty on numerous
occasions, and the opinions are not those of my employer or its clients even
though I sometimes wish they were.