[BLDG-SIM] Freeware BIN data generator

Randy Wilkinson randy at hvacware.net
Tue Aug 28 13:57:35 PDT 2001

On 28 Aug 01, at 8:53, STANLEY, BRUCE E wrote:

> We are looking at energy costs for residential applications in the
> Omaha, NE area.
>
> Degree Day data is easy to find off of the web. However, BIN Data is
> much more difficult. What are good sources of BIN Data?
>
> Prefer free sources, but would be willing to pay. Can this data be
> obtained based on yearly totals? Recent years are preferred.

Hi Bruce and all,

I wrote a FREE windows program using Visual Basic that might help.  This
allows you to make bin data for any of the 239 US cities where TMY2 data
was collected and published by the US government.

Download the self extracting zip file by entering this URL:

   http://www.hvacware.net/free-bin.exe

There is no link from my site to this program.  You must type the above
URL to start the download.  So far, this is an exclusive offer to members of
this list.  After I make a few more improvements, I will make it available to
the public.  Some people took a copy of this program last month when I
announced it on this list.  Those of you who gave me feedback...I
appreciate your input.

If you took a copy last month, you might want to upgrade to this version...it
breaks down temperature bins by month and also includes the source
code.  It also fixes a problem where reading the TMY2 data file from a
network drive was VERY slow.  This program is written in Visual Basic 6.
The VB6 source is included with the program in case you want to modify it
to suit your needs.  I only ask that this software not be used in any
commercial software sold for profit.

This program converts TMY2 weather files to bin weather data for quick
energy calulations.  The bin data is stored in .CSV files that can be opened
directly by Excel or just about any other spreadsheet.  It considers the dry
bulb temperature only. And currently, only US imperial units. Your can
choose to create 2 degree, 4 degree, 5 degree, or 10 degree temperature
bins.

TMY2 weather data files are available for free on the Internet.  See the
README.TXT file for details.