[BLDG-SIM] Building Simulation in the U.S.

Mark E. Case mcase at etcgrp.com
Fri Jun 8 07:25:56 PDT 2001

We use simulation heavily for existing buildings' analysis and in support of
new building design. We are currently working on both low energy design and
LEED compliance analysis for new buildings, working directly for the owner
as an adjunct to the design team.
I am often concerned that the US DOE efforts on new simulation tools looses
sight of a significant portion of the audience - practicing consultants and
designers. While we want rigorous accurate tools they must also be user
friendly. Not simple, because buildings are not simple, but friendly.
Simulation would be used more frequently if it were.
I think there should be as much emphasis placed on interface and speed as
there is on mathematical modeling. There also needs to be significantly more
training and outreach.