[BLDG-SIM] Performance Metrics

Mark E. Case mcase at etcgrp.com
Tue Jun 5 17:45:49 PDT 2001

We have been involved locally with trying to use ASHRAE 90.1, both 1989 and
1999 as a metric in new building design - i.e., `xx% better than code
minimum' for both LEED compliance and for a State buildings program. I know
there are a number of similar programs and initiatives throughout the
country. I am also slated to give a presentation on "Issues Around Using
ASHRAE 90.1-1999 as a Metric" at the ASHRAE Annual meeting in June (Seminar
28).
I'm looking for two things - first what experiences have people had with
`exceeding' the code by x%? I've heard rumors that a reputable simulation
firm said 35% can't be done if you strictly interpret the code. LEED
provides credit for 40% and 50% improvements. We've been using a completely
arbitrary target of 35%, which with a little  c o d e  stretching seems to
be obtainable. What is realistic based on your experience?
Second, I would like to get some feedback on the whole `using 90.1 as a
metric` issue that I might include in my presentation to round it out a
little.
Any feedback would be appreciated and of course I would credit anything I
used in the Seminar.
Mark E. Case, P.E.
etc Group, Inc.