[BLDG-SIM] Building Simulation in the U.S.

Michael Wilson mwilsonbc at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 10:06:57 PDT 2001

I agree strongly with what Daniel says. Whenever I
hear people speaking of the need for more
user-friendly software, it makes me shudder. Not
because I'm opposed to user-friendliness in software,
but because it usually is mistaken for meaning
over-simplification. Choices of control strategies and
options are often left out in order to make the
software more manageable. And the implication is that
since the software is user-friendly, anyone can use
it, without knowing what is really going on in the
background. Which leads to engineers with little or no
simulation experience thinking they can whip off
building models for clients and declare themselves
energy experts. There needs to be far more knowledge
of design and operation by simulators and software
developers, and detailed knowledge of the simulation
tool by mechanical and electrical engineers if they
wish to do simulation.

=====
Michael Wilson, P.Eng.
1502 - 2045 Nelson St.
Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6G 1N8
(604)899-4597  (604)899-4591 fax

Please send courier packages to:
  101 - 1184 Denman St. (Box 116), Vancouver, BC, V6G 2M9