[BLDG-SIM] Building Simulation in the U.S.

Godfried Augenbroe godfried.augenbroe at arch.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 9 06:11:42 PDT 2001

Chip,
At Georgia Tech we are doing quite a bit on Building Simulation. I
presented a keynote paper at the IBPC 2000 Conference in Eindhoven last
September, with an overview of trends and challenges for building
simulation. It refers to some of our own work.
I can send a pdf version to interested readers (Netiquette prohibits me to
add an attachment to a message to the list).

One key effort in collaboration with UMichigan (Malkawi) and
Carnegie-Mellon University (Mahdavi) is the Design Analysis Interface (DAI)
project, funded by DOE. The project is starts this summer.

A short summary of the DAI project:
The basic premise of the research is that building simulation needs to be
viewed in its process context. E.g. the steps for the fulfillment of a
design request must be defined in an analysis (simulation) scenario. In the
DAI approach these scenarios are captured explicitly, and are unique to
each project. Every step in the scenario may call a generic analysis
function, which can be delegated to a particular simulation software at
execution time. This provides a clean separation between function and
software implementation.
At the same time each step in a scenario needs input data, that is derived
from available design information. This derivation is done through a
mixture of computable mappings (based on the IAI-IFC or other structured
information) and user-driven constructive mappings of  other information
(mainly concerned with expert modeling of simulation inputs).
One fundamental aspect of the research is to develop effective
communication with the tool user community, in particular the EnergyPlus
community.
They will help to identify, advise and later assess the capabilities of
what is produced.  We need to identify their most common use scenarios and
understand clearly the processes typically followed to diagnose, pose then
test solutions. Given these processes, we will develop interfaces, new
tools or other technology that facilitates the identified scenarios.
We will be hosting workshops with simulation practitioners this fall.
Invitations will be announced using this mailing list.

Regards,

Fried Augenbroe
Doctoral Program
Georgia Tech, College of Architecture