[BLDG-SIM] Building Simulation in the U.S.

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Fri Jun 8 08:22:22 PDT 2001

I don't disagree that a greater emphasis on producing
"friendly" building energy simulation software could
increase its usage as would greater training but are those
really the biggest problems?  If they are, are they
solvable?  What does "friendly" mean here?  If they are not
the biggest problems, what else is preventing every
building (or at least every large building) in the U.S.
from being designed with the aid of energy simulation
software?

I know I'm changing the topic but these are questions that
I ponder and I'd like to know other people's impressions.

Jason

On 8 Jun 2001, at 8:25, Mark E. Case wrote:

> We use simulation heavily for existing buildings' analysis
> and in support of new building design. We are currently
> working on both low energy design and LEED compliance
> analysis for new buildings, working directly for the owner
> as an adjunct to the design team. I am often concerned that
> the US DOE efforts on new simulation tools looses sight of a
> significant portion of the audience - practicing consultants
> and designers. While we want rigorous accurate tools they
> must also be user friendly. Not simple, because buildings
> are not simple, but friendly. Simulation would be used more
> frequently if it were. I think there should be as much
> emphasis placed on interface and speed as there is on
> mathematical modeling. There also needs to be significantly
> more training and outreach.

Jason Glazer, P.E.  mailto:jglazer at gard.com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
List Administrator for 90.1, GPC18 and BLDG-SIM