[BLDG-SIM] PowerDOE VFDs on HW pumps

Alec Stevens astevens at dmiinc.com
Tue Apr 16 12:38:15 PDT 2002

Hello,
Has anyone had PowerDOE experience modeling VFDs on hot water pumps with two-way valves on the coils vs.constant speed pumps and three way valves?

We have tried this measure on more than one model and get a strange result.  With the VFDs, the pump electric energy decreases as expected, but there is a substantial penalty in fuel use for heating which we cannot explain.  The fuel penalty is much greater than what you could attribute to the energy that a constant speed pump would be adding to the fluid.

Has anyone else had this result, and does anyone have any suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Alec Stevens
DMI
450 Lexington St.
Newton, MA 02466
p: 617-527-1525x105      f: 617-527-6606
e: astevens at dmiinc.com

p.s. I got a voicemail from someone in the group the other day about refrigeration modeling.  The voicemail got garbled and I didn't catch all the contact info.  I believe the name of the person who called me was David Civic.  David, if you could please get in touch with me via email, I'll try to give some assistance, but it has been a while since I've modeled any supermarkets.

The question was:  How does DOE take into account the space load on refrigeration casework?  If anyone else has suggestions on this, maybe they can post info to the group.

Thanks!