[Bldg-sim] Residential loads

Joel Neymark neymarkj at msn.com
Fri Aug 9 08:02:43 PDT 2002

You may find HERS BESTEST (maintained by the U.S. Dept. of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory) useful to answer your question.  BESTEST is a tool for testing (and diagnosing problems with) building energy simulation software by comparing results of software to each other.  HERS BESTEST is the residential version: Volume 1 is a highly detailed test specification, and Volume 2 gives a comparison of results from 3 different whole-building simulation programs that were run through the test specification.  The primary difference between the Florida and "original" versions are climate (weather data sets) used for the test cases.  These can be downloaded at:

Home Energy Rating System Building Energy Simulation Test (HERS BESTEST)
Volume 1: Tier 1 and Tier 2 Tests User's Manual
NREL/TP-472-7332a
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/legosti/fy96/7332a.pdf (PDF 5.6 MB)

Home Energy Rating System Building Energy Simulation Test (HERS BESTEST)
Volume 2:  Tier 1 and Tier 2 Tests Reference Results
NREL/TP-472-7332b
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/legosti/fy96/7332b.pdf (PDF 1.9 MB)

Home Energy Rating System Building Energy Simulation Test for Florida
(Florida-HERS BESTEST) Volume 1: Tier 1 and Tier 2 Tests; User's Manual
NREL/TP-550-23124a
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/legosti/fy97/23124a.pdf (PDF 5.5 MB)

Home Energy Rating System Building Energy Simulation Test for Florida
(Florida-HERS BESTEST) Volume 2: Tier 1 and Tier 2 Tests; Reference Results
NREL/TP-550-23124b
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/legosti/fy97/23124b.pdf (PDF 1.2 MB)

joel

Joel Neymark P.E.