[BLDG-SIM] Convective loop in passive solar building

I.G. Theaker igt at integral-design-engineering.ca
Fri Jan 25 08:22:44 PST 2002

Hi, Severin & other Bldg-Simmers,

By "non numerical" I assume you mean not computer-simulated?  I'd say it's
impossible to do any reasonable airflow design without some
number-crunching....

The venerable Duffie & Beckman's chapter 14 offers some guidance on "Trombe
wall" type collector design:
"Solar Energy Thermal Processes" (ISBN: 0-471-22371-9)

For more detailed aid with the calcs, and natural ventilation/cooling in
general, check out Baruch Givoni's books:
"Climate Considerations in Building and Urban Design" (ISBN: 0-471-29177-3)
"Passive and Low Energy Cooling of Buildings" (sorry, no ISBN; my copy was
lent & not returned - gnashing of teeth....)
"Man, Climate and Architecture, 2nd Edition" (ISBN: 0-85334-108-7)
Givoni has done decades of empirical research on full scale building
airflows at the University of Haifa; and developing simulation routines at
Haifa and UCLA.  *Excellent* texts, both non-numeric (in the form of clear,
simple graphics) and with the numbers/equations.

Another classic:
G. Z. Brown, et al
"Sun, Wind & Light: Architectural Design Strategies, 2nd Edition" (ISBN:
0-471-34877-5)

Be aware: at residential scales, convection-driven ("stack-effect") air
pressures are usually much smaller than wind-induced air pressures; so you
must have a *very* airtight building to ensure it operates as you intend.
Better to design for combined wind-stack airflows.

Good luck!
Ian Theaker, P.Eng.

Integral Design / Engineering           Helping create beautiful,
Ste. 303 - 2050 Scotia Street           comfortable, ecologically-
Vancouver, BC V5T 4T1 Canada     responsive buildings.