[Bldg-sim] TRNSYS/EnergyPlus questions

Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV
Mon Jul 8 14:23:54 PDT 2002

Progress on User Interfaces for EnergyPlus.

The most asked questions about EnergyPlus are 'Where is the interface?'
and 'When will commercial interfaces be available?'.

Several tools are now available to ease the pain of using
EnergyPlus--although
neither is a full user-friendly interface--see information from The
Deringer Group:
http://www.deringergroup.com/Software/EPlusTools.htm   They also use
EnergyPlus in on-line simulations.

We are pleased to announce that we expect the first EnergyPlus user
interface to be
available later this summer.  Two interface developers have posted
information
on their web sites:

   Taylor Systems Engineering ( http://www.tse-inc.net/epi.htm ) plans to
   have a
residential building interface in Summer 2002 and a nonresidential
interface late
Summer 2002.

   Energy Coding  ( http://www.designbuilder.co.uk ) is developing a full
   featured
building design tool called DesignBuilder that will include energy modeling
using
EnergyPlus.  They tell us that a fully functional beta version may be
available in
September--but a very preliminary test version of DesignBuilder is
available now
for download.

Five other organizations tell us that they plan to develop user interfaces
over the
next year or so--but no specific dates are yet available.  We will announce
the availability of user interfaces and tools as they become available on
the
EnergyPlus web site.

Dru Crawley
DOE

                    b.walker.smith
                    @velux.com           To:     Bldg-sim at gard.com
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    postman at gard.c       Subject:     [Bldg-sim] TRNSYS/EnergyPlus questions
                    om

                    06/26/2002
                    05:58 AM
                    Please respond
                    b.walker.smith

Hello,

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on a few questions I have
relating to building simulation programs. Specifically:

1. Are there any commercial EnergyPlus interfaces now available? The
EnergyPlus website suggests that several are being developed for release as
early as mid-2002 (i.e., now), but I have been unable to find any
information about them.
2. Are there any building simulation programs/add-ons that incorporate
daylighting analysis? Alternately, is there any compatability between
programs like EnergyPlus/TRNSYS and Radiance?
3. For whole-building (energy) analysis of window systems, are TRNSYS and
EnergyPlus best used separately or in combination? I´d be interested in
your experience with these programs, particularly as they relate to
modeling applications focused on window systems.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely / Med venlig hilsen / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Bryant Walker Smith
VELUX A/S W-Product Quality (W-PQ) (M4)

Maskinvej 4, DK-2860 Søborg

Telephone Direct:      +45 39 57 06 27