[Bldg-sim] CBECS 99 Available

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Wed May 22 06:20:04 PDT 2002

The 1999 Commercial Building Energy Consumption Survey
(CBECS) Commercial Building Characteristics were released
yesterday.  In case you aren't aware of this resource, it
is the largest most comprehensive national survey of
commercial buildings in the U.S. that I know of at over
5000 buildings. It provides good information if you are
trying to find out what the average size of a particular
type of building or the fraction of floorspace nationally
that uses chillers, etc.  DOE does the survey every three
or four years so it has history.  Even better, the detailed
building by building survey data is available if you want
to do your own number crunching.  I have used it to create
prototypical building descriptions in DOE-2 to perform a
national assessment of the energy impact of ASHRAE 90.1-
1999.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cbecs/char99/intro.html

The characteristics tables are followed a several months
later by energy consumption statistics on the same set of
buildings.

If anyone can think of other resources people use when
putting together building simulation inputs, go ahead and
share them with the group.

Jason
Jason Glazer, P.E.  mailto:jglazer at gard.com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
List Administrator for 90.1, GPC18 and BLDG-SIM