[BLDG-SIM] "Cool Roofing"

Kirchhoff, Eric EKirchhoff at semprasolutions.com
Mon Oct 7 11:44:42 PDT 2002

If you model energy savings for roofing products, be sure to account for
smog.  Yes I'm in Los Angeles.  But ASHRAE does also note that energy
savings is negligible in industrial areas due to smoke and smog.  I believe
the real point here is that unless the direct irradiation level is high then
there isn't much chance of savings.  The diffuse irradiation will have the
same affect on a wall as it does a roof--White paint or rock anyone (as
opposed to snowcap type products)?  Your point about New England's latitude
would fit in here about the diffuse radiation part.  Additionally, I do
recall that there was a researcher at LBL who was educating people about
albedo (smooth vs. fluffy) as a surface property that needs to also be
addressed; this is in addition to abosorptance, reflectance, and
emisstivity.

I do not believe very highly in the accuracy of the energy performance
estimates for the high performance roofing products.  All you need is a hazy
month in June, and you've got more savings then the prior year.  Wash the
roof, for that matter, and the results will change.

My point is, don't expect much from your model, and expect less in real
life.

Eric Kirchhoff, PE
Project Engineer

Sempra Energy Solutions
Phone: (213) 244-4228
Fax:     (213) 244-4244
ekirchhoff at semprasolutions.com

Sempra Energy Solutions is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or
SoCalGas, and Sempra Energy Solutions is not regulated by the California
Public Utilities Commission.