[BLDG-SIM] eQuest: primary/secondary WLHPS?

David S Eldridge DSE at grummanbutkus.com
Wed Apr 2 07:26:26 PST 2003

Has anyone completed a project in eQuest or DOE2.2 utilizing a WLHPS
with a primary/secondary arrangement?  My boiler seems to be adding heat
to the loop at all times of the year...even more in the summer than
winter.  The same result occurred for multiple weather files, so it
wasn't something to do with the Sunnyvale (Palo Alto) weather file.

If I change the project to a primary WLHPS only, then everything looks
about like I think it should...cooling electric consumption goes way
down from the primary/secondary case and the gas consumption has the
more typical profile higher in the winter and low in the summer.

I'm not sure if I'm setting up the model incorrectly, or if the
simulation model was only meant to handle CHW loops (I didn't see
anything in the manual that suggests this, of course all of the examples
are CHW systems).

Are there any  resources available that have an example
Primary/Secondary WLHPS?  Suggestions on which loop parameters to
investigate?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

David