[BLDG-SIM] Simulating in-suite HRV's on FC type systems using eQUEST

Brian Fountain greensim at lara.on.ca
Wed Dec 10 13:15:03 PST 2003

I am using eQUEST to model a high-rise multi-unit residential building (in a
cold climate).  The mechanical system most likely for selection will include
2-pipe fan coils (with a supplementary electric coil) in the suites and a
corridor make-up air unit.  The in-suite fan coils under consideration have
an outdoor air intake and an air-to-air heat exchanger to recover heat from
the suite washroom exhaust.  This is not how the FC fan coil system is set
up in DOE 2.2 - and there is no provision for heat recovery at the fan-coil
level.  I am using the OA-FROM-SYS keyword which moves the entire
ventilation load to the corridor make-up air system where heat recovery can
be applied.  Doing this appears to greatly improve the energy performance of
the building.  I am wondering if modeling the system in this was is
over-stating performance of the heat recovery.

I am wondering if there is experience within the group to better model such
a system.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Brian Fountain, P.Eng.

Energy Engineer

GreenSim