[BLDG-SIM] Determination of Boiler System Losses and Efficiencies

Vic Hanby vhanby at dmu.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 02:11:55 PST 2003

Jim:

Five or six years ago we developed a (gas and oil-fired) boiler model that had
detailed combustion and heat transfer modelling. It needed geometrical
information that was generally available from manufacturers and was validated
against an extensive testing programme at BSRIA in the UK. It's more focused on
modelling specific boilers and needs less empirical coefficients than the
Primary Toolkit model and was written up in HVAC&R 3(2) 1997.

The original code was wrapped into a TRNSYS Type and therefore could be combined
with a load circuit and controls to simulate long term operation. The researcher
who worked on this with me left some while ago, and I haven't done much with the
code since. It may be possible to dust this off if there was enough interest: it
would certainly be capable of addressing all four of the issues. The original
work was funded by a UK Research Council.

Regards

Vic Hanby
Professor V I Hanby
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester LE1 9BH, UK
+44 (0)116 257 7980,  7977 (fax)