[BLDG-SIM] Architects and building performance simulation

smitagupta at attbi.com smitagupta at attbi.com
Tue Feb 18 15:10:24 PST 2003

Hello All,

I have been reading the thread of discussion regarding architects and building
simulation, over the past week and am very interested in the issues brought
forward. Following on that track I would like to request the members of this
bldg-sim mailing list to please take a moment and answer the simple survey as
per your experience. In working towards my PhD research, I would like to find
out the most typical and frequent questions that architects ask regarding the
performance of their building when in the design stage. Please fill out the
section relevant to your profession and email your responses to me at:
smita at cmu.edu

You may include any number of questions that come to your mind.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Regards,

-Smita Gupta

PhD Student
Building Performance and Diagnostics
410, MMCH, School of Architecture
Carnegie Mellon University
5000, Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

A  R  C  H  I  T  E  C  T  S

Years in practice:
Location of current practice:

Imagine that you are designing a building (you can think of your most recent
projects) which has to take into account environmental performance criteria
(such as energy use, daylighting, mechanical systems, acoustic etc.).

If you had the opportunity to ask an expert in this field about improving your
design, what would be the typical example of questions you would ask? (please
be specific in your examples)

1.

2.

3.

E  N  G  I  N  E  E  R  S (consultants)

Years in practice:
Location of current practice:

As building performance experts what are the questions that the architects most
frequently ask you regarding the performance of their building design?

1.

2.

3.