[BLDG-SIM] WORKING AS A TEAM/ WHAT ARCHITECT SHOULD NOW

habaza11 at cs.com habaza11 at cs.com
Thu Feb 13 06:52:26 PST 2003

Hello;
To add to the current discussion. here is a case study; the "Architect" Leonardo Da Vinici telling his qualifications in Art and arhcitecture.

Letter by Da Vinci To Ludovico Sforza

1-I have a process for the construction of very light bridges, capable of easy transport, by means of which the enemy may be pursued and put to flight and of others more solid, which will resist both and sword, and which are easily lowered or raised I know also of a means to burn and destroy hostile bridges.
2.In case of the investment of a place, I know how to drain moats and construct scaling ladders and such apparatus.
3.Item ; if, by reason of its elevation or strength it is not possible to bombard a hostile position, I have a means of destruction by mining provided foundations of the fortress are not of rock.
4.I know also how to make light cannon easy be transport capable of ejecting inflammable the smoke from which would cause terror, destruction, and confusion among the enemy. [Note here a fifteenth—century forecast of smoke-screens and, poison gas.’
5.Item; by means of narrow and tortuous subterranean tunnels, dug without noise, I am able create a passage to inaccessible places, even under rivers.
6.Item; I know how to construct secured and covered wagons for the transport of guns into enemy’s lines, and not to be impeded by ever dense a mass, and behind which the infantry c follow without danger. [A possible vision of modern tank.
7.I can make cannon, mortars, and engines . etc., of form both useful and beautiful, and different from those at present in use.
8.Or if the use of cannon happens to be impracticable, I can replace them by catapults and other admirable projecting weapons at present unknown; in short, where such is the case, I am able to devise endless means of attack.
9.And, if the combat should be at sea, I have numerous most powerful engines both for attack and defense ; and ships which are both gun-proof and fire-proof; and also powders and inflammables.
10.In times of peace, I believe that I can compete with anyone in architecture, and in the construction of both public and private monuments, and in the building of canals. I am able to execute statues in marble, bronze, and clay; in painting I can do as well as anyone else. In particular, 1 will under­take to execute the bronze horse in the eternal memory of your father and of the very illustrious house of Sforza, and if any of the above mentioned things appear to you impossible or impracticable, I will offer to make an attempt at it in your park or in any other place which Your Excellency may please to choose, to which I commend myself in all humility.

Hussein Abaza, Ph.D.