[BLDG-SIM] 3D Modeling + Energy Analysis

Monjur M Mourshed monjur at ecaad.com
Wed Feb 12 10:05:56 PST 2003

Mike

I agree with your point that energy conservation should begin with
Architects but I have reservation about how to implement it, given the
current circumstances. Energy simulation is a complex task oriented
process. It needs a lot of parameters to be specified to kick off and
that might not be available when a designer/ Architect starts the
design.

Another point to note is the lack of integrated UI (User Interface) - be
it graphical or textual. Most of the researches in Energy Simulation /
Conservation are aimed at developing stand-alone utility or piece of
software to do certain job. In my opinion, the emphasis should be placed
on the integration with the design process and final outcome or product.
For example, I want to kick off Energy Simulation module from within the
CAD software I am working with, without specifying further parameters
and I want to check for energy consumption after every change I made to
the layout or component. I don't want to open a different window or
software and spend a week to define and run the simulation. You might as
well say IFC or STEP is there to help. To be honest these specifications
seem just prototypes to me, I have reservations about them being used in
real life situations - not in next 3/5 years at least.

It is wisely said; know your target audience before you even think to
code your software. Knowingly or unknowingly, Most of the software/
Interfaces are targeted towards HVAC Engineers, not architects. There's
a fundamental difference in the think/ work process of an architect with
Engineers. I don't think architects are too comfortable with what's
available out there, commercially or research wise. This is the only
reason for not using them in profession. Nobody has problems with
learning something new, if it increases the quality of the product or
increases efficiency of the process.

Regards,

Monjur Mourshed
IRUSE, Civil Engineering, UCC. Ireland