[BLDG-SIM] Evaporative cooling

Sangeetha Divakar sangeetha_divakar at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 08:26:14 PST 2003

great start! thanks Eric and Sayyed. I shall contact Martin and Nader for more information on CoolT. I had read about this software and the I am concerned about two issues - 1. does the simulation accomodate water spray through nozzles as against water pads? and 2. is the airflow rate given at the exit of the tower or at any point within the building? I am yet to finalyse the topic of study and have around 4 months to work on it. suggestions on current problems and potential areas of study in cool towers will be helpful.
Sangeetha

 "Kirchhoff, Eric" <EKirchhoff at semprasolutions.com> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
Contact Martin Yoklic at the University of Arizona.  He works at the Environmental Research Laboratory (ERL) there.  His life work (started in college) has been on passive evaporative ‘Cool Towers.”  He has written several papers on this subject.  Frankly speaking, I could not find a simulation program that would dynamically adjust itself to a varying load like DOE2 does.  He has a software program which basically says if the ambient wet bulb temperature is “x”, the wind is “y”, the cross section area of the evaporative media is “a”, the elevation of the pads is “b”, the cross section area of the tower is “l”, the exit area is “m”, and given the thickness of the media “q” with a “z” approach, then you will get “c” flow of “d” degree air.

Can’t remember if that is exactly how it worked, but it is similar to that.  In order for him to perform the calculation, I had to provide him with a weather file with the variables I outlined above among other static variables.

He also has an Architectural degree.  Maybe he’ll try to lure you to the University of Arizona.  At least you’d still be in the PAC 10.

(By the way…….Go Huskies!)

Eric Kirchhoff, PE

Project Engineer

Sempra Energy Solutions

Phone: (213) 244-4228

Fax:     (213) 244-4244

ekirchhoff at semprasolutions.com

Sempra Energy Solutions is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or SoCalGas, and Sempra Energy Solutions is not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission.