[BLDG-SIM] ASHRAE 90.1 Query - II

Nikhil Kapur energy_news2002 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 21:04:48 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses on the ASHRAE query. I was able to feed in the right inputs into the eQuest model based on your comments and suggestions.

Continuing on the same topic I had one concern, regarding the budget model for the proposed design. For the Energy Cost Budget calculations two simulations will have to be run, one with the proposed case and the other the budget case based on ASHRAE 90.1 standards. In case of the budget simulation model, ASHRAE 90.1 lists the EER's of the packaged units which includes the fan energy.

When doing the model for the budget case I chose the system types as per the ASHRAE 90.1 selection table. Now I have the EER for the packaged units in my case System 11. But how do I model the fan energy for the budget case. I would have to first determine the CFM for the supply fans and the cooling capacity of the unit.

I tried one approach and I do not know whether it is the right way to go or not.

I modeled a Packaged Single Zone system with the ASHRAE 90.1 EER. Assigned a 0 value to the fan energy so that there is no fan energy. and ran the eQuest Model. Then from the SS-P report I used the CFM and cooling capacity calculated by the program to determine the appropriate fan energy. Also in this process I used the ASHRAE 90.1 guideline for the fan HP to be 1.2HP/1000 cfm for  upto 20,000 cfm. So using the cfm reported on the SS-P I calculated the fan HP for the budget case, and using the cooling capacity calculated the EER for the system excluding the fan energy.

Then I plugged in the individual values and ran the simulation model for the budget building.

Any suggestions to if this approach is appropriate or not.

Thanks

Nikhil