[BLDG-SIM] Thermal mass walls

Callan, David dcallan at syska.com
Wed Jun 25 07:16:22 PDT 2003

I agree.  I assuming that the refrigerator is inside a larger facility
shaded from the sun.  My understanding of thermal mass leads me to believe
that it will have little effect on this refrigeration process.   Thermal
mass plays a part when the loads change with time.  The thermal mass stores
the heat to be radiated later.  This is obviously advantageous for building
design in hot climates because the instantaneous solar load effect can be
delayed to a time when the conduction load due to temperatures decreases.
Hence reducing the peak sensible load slightly.  In the refrigeration
process, the loads are more or less constant and direct solar would not be
an issue.

If anyone can elaborate on, or correct my explanation, I would appreciate
it.

David P. Callan, MS, PE, CEM
Syska Hennessy Group, Inc.