[BLDG-SIM] Invitation to Participate - Getting the Design Team toUse Energy Simulation from the Beginning

Varkie Thomas Varkie.Thomas at som.com
Tue Jun 24 10:16:09 PDT 2003

The statement below from the several responses I received to my views on energy analysis software shows what A-E design firms have to deal with:

"I think the performance path in many building energy codes is not clearly defined at present. This sometimes makes compliance procedure hard to follow. Even when the performance path is defined, there are always arguments about the modelling assumptions, such as parameters for the reference building and performance of speculative building systems."

We now have to show energy code compliance using energy programs when submitting construction documents. Until recently we had the option of not having to perform energy analysis during the design process.

Several architects prefer to maximize the glass well above 50% (the building now falls in the non-prescriptive category) not just for aesthetic reasons, but also to reduce first costs, exterior maintenance costs and to provide a better indoor environment which in turn translates into higher productivity of the occupants.

In my personal opinion energy software developers should provide examples and documentation of how we would show non-prescriptive compliance using their programs. The code authorities should also explain with examples how we are expected to show non-prescriptive compliance using energy programs and they must indicate which programs are authorized.

Based on ASHRAE Standard 90.1 most codes categorize buildings into low-rise residential buildings and commercial buildings which includes high-rise residential. Convention centers, performing arts centers, airport terminals, indoor stadiums all fall under commercial. We were once asked to show Std 90.1 compliance for one of these types of buildings using ComCheck-Plus. We need examples of how to show non-prescriptive code compliance for large hospitals and university campuses that include laboratories.

We need energy programs that will show and document code compliance at the construction documents level. In my opinion the DOE2.1E (or DOE2.2 which I have not used) is very suitable for showing code compliance. We first analyze the building model using all prescriptive parameters and then analyze it again with other conditions to produce the same annual energy performance. The Building Description Language (BDL) input of the two cases is included in the report and submitted to the client to show that the modeling was done correctly.

I hope that these views and comments will be of help at the ASHRAE TC 4.7 meeting next week.

Varkie Thomas

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill