[BLDG-SIM] Energy-10 and LEED

Phelps, Andrew T ERDC-CERL-IL Contractor Andrew.T.Phelps at erdc.usace.army.mil
Mon Mar 24 10:37:24 PST 2003

The requirements for LEED 2.1 Energy and Atmosphere credit 1 state:
	Reduce design energy cost compared to the energy cost budget for
energy
	systems regulated by ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1-1999 (without
amendments),
	as demonstrated by a whole building simulation using the Energy
	Cost Budget Method described in Section 11 of the Standard.
In my quick check of the standard, the modeling software must be able to
model at least ten (10) thermal zones.  If we are going by the letter,
Energy-10 does not qualify because it can only model  two (2) zones.  The
DOE-2 website claims that the ASHRAE standard was based on DOE-2 analyses,
so it looks like DOE-2 is the winner.

(I personally have not used Energy-10 or DOE-2.  I am working primarily with
EnergyPlus.)

I hope I have helped.

Andrew Phelps, CERL-ERDC
Student Contractor