[BLDG-SIM] Calibrated models

Carlos Lisboa carloslx at mail.telepac.pt
Thu Mar 13 03:00:32 PST 2003

I am a portuguese HVAC designer and consultant and a user o DOE2.1-E for
over ten years. Usually I use DOE for new buildings, but five years ago
I participated in an Energy Audit of six buildings in Portugal and had
my first and only experience of DOE model calibration. I used the
folowing methodology (work done with the colaboration of an electricall
engineer):

1.Preparation of building inspections (average 2 days work).
    -study of building and systems drawings and specifications,
    -study of energy monthly bills,
    -conception and organization of forms to be filled in the building
      inspection work,

2.Building inspection (average 2 days work).
This included;
     -filling a form for each room in the building, in wich all the
relevant
       aspects where characterized (lighting, equipment, hvac equipment,
        people, schedules).
     -characterization of the HVAC systems installed
     -characterization of other energy consuming equipment installed
       (elevators, water and sewage pumps, exterior lighting, etc.)
     -interview with people responsible for building operations to
determine
      operating schedules and the way the building systems were operated

3.Field Measurements (average two weeks)
This included;
     -total building energy consumption during one week  registered with
      portable electricall energy analiser (output to a PC),
     -registration of energy consumption of speciall energy consumers
       (elevators, computer rooms, “plugs and lighting” in office
floors, etc.)
     -measurement of power consumption of speciall equipments (water and
      sewage pumps, lighting, etc.)
     -measurement of main airflows and hvac effective working
conditions,

4.Creation of a DOE model (average 3 days)
This included;
      -model in a room by room basis
      -including all non HVAC consumers

5.Calibration (hourly) for a week day an weekend measured (average
1day).
This included;
      -use of a meteorological day (in the TRY, only available
meteorological data )
        similar to the meteorological conditions of the day in wich the
measurements
        where taken,
       -use of hourly energy use schedules for each zone of the building
        for all energy consumers
       -calibration against the actual hourly energy measured,

6.Verification of the calibrated model against existing monthly bills
(average 1day)
This included;
      -DOE calculation of monthly energy consumption using the
calibrated
        model and a TRY year (only available meteorological data)
      -comparation of calculated monthly consumptions and the actual
energy
        consumption of the existing bills for the last years.

This experience  showed the following;

I.The hourly calibration against a day of measured data allowed for a
close match of
not weather dependent energy consumer sectors (equipment, lighting,
escalators,
water and sewage pumps, etc.).

I I. The use of the hourly calibrated model for the monthly energy
calculations (using TRY) showed in all cases an acceptable match with
the existing bills.

I I I. The bigger energy consumers were lighting and equipment, wich are
not weather
dependent and easy to calibrate. HVAC acounted for around 20 to 25% of
the total building energy consumption.

Carlos Lisboa

Carlos Lisboa, Lda
TagusPark, Núcleo Central, 46