[BLDG-SIM] DOE2.1E oversized heating and cooling equipment?

Liu, Bing Bing.Liu at pnl.gov
Wed Mar 12 16:32:41 PST 2003

The autosized heating capacity in DOE-2 is calculated based on following equation:
Heating Capacity (Btu/h) = 1.08 x Supply CFM x {(MAX-SUPPLY-T)-(DESIGN-HEAT-T)}

Supply cfm is determined from load runs to satisfy both the zone peaking heating and cooling load and is set equal to heating and cooling mode for CAV system.  So the heating capacity in Report SV-A is calculated before the system starts the hourly run.  If you input a high value for MAX-SUPPLY-T, you will get the oversized heating coil/furnace. The best way to avoid DOE-2 oversize equipment is to define the heating equipment capacity after running the Design Day.

Bing Liu, P.E.
Research Engineer
Energy Science & Technology Directorate
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory