[BLDG-SIM] Calibrated Models

Glenn Haynes glenn at rlw.com
Wed Mar 12 11:39:29 PST 2003

Mark,

At the outset, I think the term "calibration" should be limited to a simple
matching (within pre-approved tolerances) of the target data one may have
to work with.  If the target data are monthly utility bills alone, then
calibration is fairly simple, but will necessarily leave unanswered
questions regarding the individual variables that were "tweaked" to achieve
calibration.  I would leave control of those input variables within the
context of modeling detail or quality rather than confuse the issue of
calibration with them.

A more stringent calibration project may require matching of both monthly
kWh and monthly peak demand kW (which may need to be converted to
hourly).  In this case the calibration process will necessarily require
more detail in the model just to achieve the required tolerances around the
12 additional target points.  The more target data you have, the more
demanding the calibration procedure will be, and the more exact the model
will necessarily have to be.  The term "calibration" could still be limited
to the context of matching any number of target data points within an
acceptable set of tolerances.  Issues of modeling accuracy and detail
maintain their inherent importance both with and without calibration.

Glenn Haynes,
RLW Analytics, Inc.