[BLDG-SIM] Weather Normalization Question

Michael Wilson mwilsonbc at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 15:38:22 PST 2003

Hi, I've done a few calibrations to bills, and that's
how I've done it. I order up a years worth of weather
data for the most recent year and convert it to Doe2
format. But you also need to adjust your bills in
Excel if they don't end on the 31st of the month. This
can cause some problems if they're off by quite a bit,
ie. end on the 15th.

Also I find you need to be careful with calibrations,
as real buildings often have interesting and unique
operating strategies not modelled well by Doe2. Check
carefully how the building controls are working.

--- Andrew Holden <andrew at heliosltd.com> wrote:
> Hi bldg-sims:
>
> After using DOE modeling tools intermittently now
> for many years I am now using eQuest and one of its
> cousins in earnest.  After reading the manuals a
> couple of things still are not totally evident.
>
> I would like to synchronize the eQuest modeled
> behavior to the actual utility bills for a given
> calendar year (so I know I modeled it properly),
> then apply the 30 year average data to tell me how
> the building should perform going forwards in a
> baseline mode and after EEMs are applied.
>
> Am I correct that the only way to do that is to take
> real weather data from say 2002, use some of the
> weather utility applications to create a suitable
> packed format for the DOE-2 engine, run that, make
> sure it is calibrated properly, then switch the
> weather data to 30-year data and re-run it.
>
> Do most of you seasoned modelers keep two sets of
> all your weather data laying around, DOE-2 packed
> actual yearly data plus the 30 year formats?  Or
> isn't it worth it?
>
> Also, can I input actual bill histories into eQuest
> to compare modeled versus actual bills?
>
> Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Holden, CEM, LEED
> Helios Resources, Ltd.
> 1883 Old Kimberton Road
> Phoenixville, PA 19460
> Tel: 610-917-9111
> Fax: 610-917-1066
> Cell: 484-437-3754
> http://www.heliosltd.com
> "Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and
> plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1803-1882

=====
Michael Wilson
455 Elphinstone Ave.
Gibsons, BC, V0N 1V1