[BLDG-SIM] When is building energy simulation cost justified

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Tue May 6 10:38:45 PDT 2003

As an advocate of the use of building energy simulation
modeling, I have often thought that requiring the use of
these tools for buildings that comply with energy codes,
like IECC and ASHRAE 90.1, would make sense for certain
building types and sizes.  Building simulation often seems
to result in significant energy cost savings compared to
the cost of the modeling itself.

In the experience of those on the BLDG-SIM mailing list,
under what conditions is the cost of performing the
modeling cost justified given the results?  Is it possible
to have a simple building size threshold, say 100,000
square feet (about 10,000 square meters), that almost
always applied to when building energy simulation modeling
is cost justified?

Ultimately, I would like to submit change proposals to the
major energy code organizations that include such a
requirement but I need substantiation. Any suggestions or
insights are welcome.

Jason

Jason Glazer, P.E.  jglazer AT gard DOT com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users