[BLDG-SIM] When is building energy simulation cost justified

Mike Roberts mroberts20 at kc.rr.com
Tue May 6 14:00:11 PDT 2003

Jason,

I definitely believe that it makes sense to do energy simulation on most
commercial and industrial buildings, and sometimes, residential.  On the
other hand, I do not have a lot of faith in codes to accomplish this.  I
have believed for a long time that economics will justify the simulations.
You just have to show the client the economics.  My recent experience on a
few projects where energy codes were involved indicates that there is more
interest in checking off the code compliance than in saving energy.  I was
called in after most decisions were made, just to demonstrate code
compliance.

That said, I believe there are more important things than size.  A small,
air conditioned office building will use more energy than a large, heated
only warehouse.  Expected annual energy costs for the building would be one
avenue.  In earlier days (1970s and 1980s), energy budgets were a popular
method that I still like better than the proscriptive approach of 90.1 and
IECC.  Many of the proscriptive requirements are just plain wrong for many
buildings.

In the long run, I still believe that energy code money should be spent on
education rather than rules.  When we teach an owner that he can get a 30%
ROI on his energy conservation investment, he will be much more interested
than when he is required to meet specific requirements, many of which are
wrong for his building.

Mike