[BLDG-SIM] Materials properties for simulation

Michael J. Witte mjwitte at gard.com
Thu Nov 13 09:48:01 PST 2003

Chip:

The EnergyPlus materials data sets are taken from the BLAST and DOE-2
data sets which were taken primarily from AHSRAE HOF tables, most
likely the 1977 edition.

Looking at the 1977 ASHRAE HOF, there are no specific sources cited
in the tables, although there are some ASHVE papers and some books
listed in the bibliography.  The footnotes in the table point to the
manufacturer as the ultimate source.  So, I poked around USG's
website and found very little to help.  Density is generally
available, and thermal resistance is available for some products, but
I found no mention of specific heat, so that's not going to be much
help.  This is an interesting question.  Please report you conclusion
back to us here.

Have you looked in the popular architectural reference named
something like Mechanical and Electrical in Buildings (I think it's
usually referred to as MEB or something like that)?

Mike