[BLDG-SIM] Materials properties for simulation

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at ceere.org
Wed Nov 12 09:32:35 PST 2003

Hi Chip,

	For windows related thermo-physical properties of materials, NFRC has
conducted small research project at Umass to research different sources,
including existing values used at NFRC, and to publish consolidated and
referenced properties.  In this project we have used variety of sources, and
we have compiled relatively large list, which was published in NFRC 101
(available for download from www.nfrc.org).  We thought that out of all of
references, the best single and updated source on thermophysical properties
of building materials was European Commission sponsored study (Anderson et.
al. 1999.  "Analysis, selection and Statistical Treatment of Thermal
Properties of Building Materials for the Preparation of Harmonised Design
Values").  The data was well documented and properly sorted with recommended
values at the end.  We used quite a bit from that source for NFRC project.
If you would like, I can send you a copy of this report.

I find that using sources like Toulukian with several hundred entries for
each typical material is equivalent to starting a major research project and
is therefore probably impractical (unless of course you have very specific
material subjected to a large range of temperatures).

One other note. ASHRAE has funded research project through TC 4.4 to
document and update thermophysical properties of building materials, but to
my knowledge that was never completed due to the default from a PI.

Regards,
Charlie Curcija