[BLDG-SIM] central plant energy trade-off tool-Thanks and Summ ary

Brian Thornton bthornton at glumac.com
Fri Oct 17 12:18:45 PDT 2003

Thank you to all who replied on my request for ideas on conceptual modeling
of central plant for large campus in early phases.  Sorry for not  listing
source on all of these items in summary. Most went to whole distribution in
their orginal form with credit to commenter. Sorry if I missed anyone.

To summarize:

eQuest--Use DD Wizard, and create each building as a shell with area, shape
and occupancy inputs only for shell, rest as defaults. Plant can be defined
to serve each building. This is probably what I will use.

eQuest--use SD Wizard for multiple buildings and import them together.

Trane System Analyzer, and Trace

DOE2.1e input simple building inputs in text mode.

VisualPlant Doe21e with building load profiles instead of separate load
inputs for each building.  Promising but I would have to buy new software.

And a technical paper
Beasley, R., Haberl, J., Turner, D. and Claridge, D. 2002. "Development of a
Methodology for Baselining The Energy Use of Large Multi-building Central
Plants", ASHRAE Transactions-Research,  Volume 108, Part 1, pp. 251 - 259,
(January).

Thanks

Brian Thornton