[BLDG-SIM] Piping Systems

Varkie Thomas Varkie.Thomas at som.com
Fri Oct 17 11:29:24 PDT 2003

We have a situation where we have to model a CW piping system to
determine the additional cooling, heating and energy requirements.  In
Dubai the city water supply comes from a desalination plant and has to
be cooled to acceptable temperatures before it reaches the cold water
faucets.  The city water supply temperature varies through the year. The
water enters a concrete tank and is pumped to secondary tanks at
different levels and then supplied to the faucets.  This is a high-rise
building with retail, restaurant, hotel, office and apartment floors. We
would like to know the design cooling load, a year-round temperature
profile of the water at various points in the piping and tank system and
the annual cooling energy required.  We have the Dubai weather data from
NCDC which we have converted for use with DOE2.1E.  We also have the
water demand and usage profiles for the different levels.  We have
already done a preliminary analysis but would like to check the results
with an established program designed for this purpose.  Can TRNSYS model
this?

Regarding the recent discussion on a suitable energy program to model
several university campus buildings that are being developed in phases,
we have a similar project here and I had no problem using the DOE2.1E
BDL.  I think there are several advantages in using a text input format
for very large projects instead of filling out forms or trying to draw
all the buildings as input.  Trying to import architectural drawings as
input for such projects is not practical.

Varkie Thomas
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, Chicago