[bldg-sim] Solar shading, fritted glass / louvre shading comparison

Christian Struck Christian.Struck at BuroHappold.com
Sat Sep 13 01:15:47 PDT 2003

Dear all,

I have been working on a few projects were we had to deal with excessive
solar gains due to huge areas of facade glazing.
Even so we produced results comparing louvre shading against fritted glass
indicating louvres perform significantly better than frit the architects
came up with arguments picked up somewhere, that fritted facade glazing
performs similar to louvres, with respect to solar gains. The point is, the
facade glazing was requested to be modelled with a percentage frit above
70%.  Still we found the total solar gains to be more than double as high
for the fritted glass compared to the louvre shading option.

Do you guys know by any chance a few papers or articles I could refer to, to
either prove or review my models?! Any of you experienced similar problems
in the past?

Many thanks for your effort in advance!

Christian