[bldg-sim] Digest (09/12/2003 03:01) (#2003-62)

Ian Theaker Ian_T at ieice.com
Fri Sep 12 08:50:10 PDT 2003

Mark, Bldg-Simmers,

The UK's Building Research Establishment's "Office of the Future" is one
Euro building that deliberately uses voids formed into precast concrete
floor/ceiling panels to distribute & extract natural ventilation air,
consciously activating their thermal mass.  These proprietary panels were
invented & seem to be most widely used in Scandinavia; they create an
undulating ceiling with ~10' period peak to peak, with 'waves' ~2.5' deep.
A flat floor is cast above, and air is driven by wind pressure between this
floor slab and the lower ceiling formed by the precast panels.  Their
curving shape lend themselves very well to direct/indirect lighting fixtures
suspended below the high points of the ceiling;  for both nat vent &
daylighting purposes, sections are oriented perpendicular to the exterior
walls. The shapes tend to elicit that 'WOW' factor from architects....

As I say, these are a proprietary precast system, but the manufacturer's
name escapes me at the moment.  For more information, speak to Feilden Clegg
Architects (London, UK?) or the BRE; David Lloyd Jones' book "Architecture &
the Environment - Bioclimatic Building Design" has both lovely pictures &
(hail Mary!) monitored energy performance #s (83 kWhe/sq.m-yr *total*!)

Hope this helps,
Ian G. Theaker, P.Eng.
Senior Energy Engineer

503.382.2266 OFFICE
503.382.2654 DIRECT
503.382.2262 FAX

Consultants of Choice to the Built Environment
www.interfaceengineering.com