[BLDG-SIM] Radiance: daylight factor not working?

Caroline Prochazka cjprocha at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 07:01:11 PDT 2004

I am a graduate student of architecture at the
University of Waterloo. I am using Energy-10, Ecotect
and Desktop Radiance to study the role of daylighting
with respect to heating and cooling energy for two
existing Canadian 'green' buildings. This posting is
only one of my many questions, which recently arose
from closer examination of my models.

RADIANCE: I had hoped to use Desktop Radiance to
evaluate daylight factors in key areas of the
buildings. While I am able to model fairly realistic
interior illumination results and analyse these using
the False Colour plot I have encountered problems.
When I opt for a daylight factor plot, the scale
remains at a range of 0 to 1.0 and is unaffected by
any changes I try to make through the analysis
dialogue box. The result in Radiance is a washed out
image all in the 'maximum' colour (my other software
suggests DF% between 2 and 4%) confirming DF%>1.0 How
can I adjust the scale for DF% readings in Desktop
Radiance?

Regards,
Caroline

=====