[bldg-sim] Radiant Heating/Cooling

stvgates at pacbell.net stvgates at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 13 08:48:44 PDT 2004

I also have some questions on radiant heating that I hope someone can
answer:

1.  It is well understood that, for a given comfort level, a higher mean
radiant temperature allows for a lower ambient temperature.  This suggests
that one can lower the thermostat setpoint.  But, if the thermostat is
lowered to 65F, and the ambient temperature is 66F, then the radiant heat is
off, and the mean radiant temperature drops.  So are the people comfortable
when the space is 66F, or do they raise the thermostat?

2.  Granted, infiltration heat losses can be lowered by reducing the air
temperature.  But the radiant heat source is also warming the room surfaces,
including the exterior wall surfaces and window surfaces.  If those surface
temperatures are then higher than they would be with a convective heating
system, their conduction losses are now greater, even though the air
temperature is lower.  Also, infiltration/exfiltration losses are typically
through cracks.  If the cracks in the interior surfaces are warmer from
radiant heating, then the crack warms the exfiltrating air, and space
temperature is not a valid criterion for calculating exfiltration loss.  So
does a radiant heating system REALLY save any energy?

3.  If the radiant elements are imbedded in the ceiling, which is common,
the interior ceiling temperature can now be in excess of 90F, which
increases the conduction losses to the attic.  So if this loss is counted as
a delivery loss, the efficiency of the system drops compared to the
theoretical.  The same argument applies to radiant elements in floors.  So
is a radiant system REALLY any more efficient than a convective system in
terms of delivered energy?

4.  With a setback thermostat and a convective heating system, I can turn
off the heat at night, but my home will be comfortable in less than a 1/2
hour the next morning.  But most radiant heating systems have a slow
response time.  Do people turn them off/down at night, or do they run them
continuously?