[BLDG-SIM] format of the list

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Mon Apr 12 12:58:29 PDT 2004

This thread just prompted me to update the archive (it had
been a while, sorry).  The archives are at:

http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim-archive/threads.html

http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim-archive/maillist.html

I prefer email lists so I guess that is why I started BLDG-
SIM that way. I tend to watch forums for a week or two and
then forget to go back them.  I like that the messages from
BLDG-SIM show up in my inbox and demand some small amount
of attention.  I do wish the archives were better organized
and self maintaining.

If you want to search the archives try doing what I do and
use Google:

  site:GARD.COM BLDG-SIM topic

but put in a real topic.

As far as budget to maintain BLDG-SIM, it is zero. It is
piggy-backed on expenses GARD would have had for a mail
server and web site plus my own personal time.

A way to get surveys done and a way to upload files to
share with everyone would be advantages to a forum but I
don't know if it worth the possible loss of eyeballs.

Jason

On 12 Apr 2004 at 11:50, Alec Stevens wrote:

> Hello,
>
> (a question for Jason Glazer, perhaps)
>
> Is it possible, feasible, or worthwhile to change the format
> of the bldg-sim list to a web-based forum? There are several
> forums that I participate in from time to time that are web
> based.  Advantages are many:  Threads are categorized by
> topic, and old threads readily archived.  Sample topics
> could include things like DOE2 simulation questions, weather
> questions, Energy Plus questions, job postings, conferences,
> calls for papers, etc.  You can also decide what you you are
> interested in and what you want to read about, rather than
> having to sort out an inbox-full of posts about something
> that doesn't tickle your fancy.
>
> Not sure what the budget is for maintaining the bldg-sim
> list, but I think the usefulness quotient would go up a
> notch if it were a web forum.
>
> Example web forums:
> http://www.taunton.com/pages/forums.asp
>
> What is the general sentiment out there?
> (if this were a web-based forum, we could initiate a user
> poll to find out the answer!)
>
> p.s.: I am not trying to start a ruckus here, I definitely
> enjoy the list and have found it very useful over the years.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Alec Stevens, PE
>

> You received this e-mail because you are subscribed
> to the BLDG-SIM at GARD.COM mailing list.  To unsubscribe from
> this mailing list send a blank message to
> BLDG-SIM-UNSUBSCRIBE at GARD.COM

Jason Glazer, P.E.  jglazer AT gard DOT com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users