[BLDG-SIM] question about modeling detached shading surfaces around a typical house

Ian Doebber idoebber at vt.edu
Sun Aug 22 20:15:32 PDT 2004

I figure this is a long shot, but I was wondering whether anyone knows of a
study that determined the typical amount of shading surfaces surrounding a
single family house.  My solar radiation loads are too large for both the
summer and winter and are making my heating and cooling loads different from
RECS energy consumption data.  I determined that probably a typical house
has trees surrounding it.  Before I start determining a realistic scenario,
I just wanted to check whether anyone has looked into this before.

Thanks
Ian Doebber
Graduate Student
Mechanical Engineering